Monday, August 27, 2007

What Is A Scout?


I have read everything I can get my hands on, I listen during every Court of Honor, I've been a Den Mom, but I still don't get the whole scouting program. They have to wear strange, expensive clothes. They all have to match each other (okay I like that part), when they come home from camp-outs dirty, bruised, and sometimes broken, you can't make a big 'thing' out of it. I just don't get them. They all have to hold up three fingers during a gathering when they want you to be quiet, and apparently you have to hold your fingers up too. They earn little patches for their shirts, and those things are a pain to sew on! The patches get harder and harder to earn. I'm not sure I'll ever understand the program, luckily Blake does. He's worked really hard
this summer, he's given up a lot of fun time to work on scouting. At the last Court of Honor he was beaming when he was awarded all his merit badges and a rank advancement. He still has some work ahead of him to finish, but it's neat to see the passion he has for scouting. I may never get scouting, but if this is what a scout is, I just might learn to love it!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Heather you are so cute, what a sweet, cute post! Blake is a doll, tell him Congrats! that is great, he is such a good boy!

Ami Bethea said...

I am completely lost on the boy scouts as well but I'm sure I will become very familiar with it as my kids get older. I'm sure I will be a den mother as well because it seems like everyone with boys will have that calling at some time! This was a cute post heather, Blake is awesome! Way to go Blakey!

An Errand of Angels said...

Heather, what a great Mom you are! Tell Blake Congratulations and that we are so proud of him! It's never easy being the parent of a Scout... But it looks like you and Jeff are getting the job done!

Ryan and Ann Cook said...

You need to help me get the bug into Nathan. He loves to go to scouts, but we have a hard time getting him to do it at home!

Cook family said...

We cant belive he is getting so big. I stil see him as the little boy we used to play kickball with out in the front yard at your old house in washington. you guys both did such a good job raising your kids they are such good kids.