Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Helmet

In the Young Family there is a tradition of wearing a bicycle helmet when teaching a kid to drive.




When I was a kid my parents always made a VERY big deal about our first driving lesson.

When it was time, and with as much to-do as possible, my dad would put his bicycle helmet on and announce that he was taking the new driver to the church parking lot.

Anyone that wanted to go would pile in the back of the car to hoot and holler during the lesson.

I won't mention which sister's driving lesson resulted in my dad needing the helmet, but I was in the backseat.

Today, I put the helmet on and took Blake to the church parking lot.

I only let out one or two yelps when I thought he was going to put the car on its side taking a super fast turn.

I love traditions.

Now it's Jeff's turn to take Blake on the city streets.

5 comments:

Jen said...

he is NOT old enough to drive!!
but you look super cute in your helmet!!

Anonymous said...

...And Blake's even still smiling!

Shannon said...

That is hilarious Heather! I think we may have to start that as a tradition here. I love it!

Carroll Family said...

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!! That is a great tradition!!! We might have to think about that. Erin's already talking about when she can get her permit -ha! I told her I'm thinking about making her wait until she's 17 - :)

Allyson & Jere said...

That is totally hysterical! I'll catalog that one away for FOURTEEN years from now when I'm ready for my first driver. haha Anyway, I'm glad you FINALLY commented. I love blog stalkers, but I love it more when you comment. Now I know your blog exists, so all is well!