In our home the adults often discuss the shenanigans of the kids. There are many. Mostly they crack us up, but we also worry about them, we want to make sure they will eventually become good, wholesome, responsible adults. As they grow and develop I still worry about what I should do to help them progress into good little mensches. After all isn't that what a parent is for? I try to teach them basic life skills.
Like you shouldn't iron your clothes while you are wearing them.
.
Or
It's not nice to keep your sisters head in your smelly armpit.
Always hug your grandmas.
and
Never, ever open a gift from Aunt Ami . . .
but if you do be ready to pose for a picture.
Other, more serious things are of a spiritual nature like teaching them to make good choices and those choices will bring happiness and peace. Hopefully working toward their own personal perfection will give them happy lives, a good mensch is a happy mensch.
Some days they are a little naughty but more often than not they do something that gives me pause. Things that make me feel that in a world of bad and evil and even while they are being raised by a very imperfect mother they display greatness.
I found out one of those kids did something amazing. It was done quietly. They stood against their peers, and a coach. A great opportunity was offered, unfortunately standards would be compromised. They turned it down, all while taking heat from kids with what they thought had the same standards. Advice on the decision wasn't asked for, it was made alone. Maybe I don't need to worry about them growing into good little mensches, today I feel like they already are.
*Note to reader, this is the point in the post where you know you have dirt on my family and you still refrain from calling and telling me about it. Ignorance is bliss.
5 comments:
You're ALIVE! I'm so happy.
What sweet, sweet kids you have. And how gratifying as a Mother to know that you DID do something right in raising your kids. And that they were strong enough to make that choice on their own. Good kids indeed.
You posted!!! And........you have incredible kids! You're a great mom!
I have been telling you they are perfect angels this whole time. You should really start listening to me.
So now I am second guessing my game of chicken.I have certain children still up cleaning for me because of some very naughtiness and lying that happened earlier tonight. (Can't they just confess so I can go to bed?!) How did I ever become so stubborn. Next time I will stick to don't iron the clothes you are wearing.
Laurel did you forget? Playing chicken always ends in tears. The mama always ends up as the bad guy, why didn't mom tell us about that part when we had kids?
Do you remember the barbie dream house vs. VO5 incident of 1978? We made pretty good partners in crime back then. Good luck sista, I love you.
Post a Comment