Broccoli is a mild mannered kid, she's polite, she's smart, and she's the kind of person who will make a difference in the world someday. I forget she's only been on the planet for a decade, she has a huge vocabulary and she knows a lot of things that I don't know. However, now and then I realize she still has a lifetime of learning ahead.

After a particularly rough basketball practice Broccoli came home in a crummy mood. She's never in a crummy mood! This kid is never cranky or upset; I couldn't understand what could possibly make her act so out of character. I tried to find out what could be upsetting her, basketball isn't her favorite sport, but she gives it her all and doesn't mind a workout. Her coach even singled her out and gave her KUDOS for her hard work in the last game.
We talked about the difficult practice, she was okay with that. We talked about one of the girls that gives the other kids a hard time, she was okay with that too. Then we talked about the coach giving her kudos. She was not okay. I asked if the coach had embarrassed her. No. I asked if she felt like the coach shouldn't have given her kudos. Oh she felt like she should have, but Broc said the coach didn't give her kudos. I argued that she had. I had heard the coach give her lots of kudos. Oh no, Broccoli was upset because the coach had said she'd give her kudos and she didn't. I was confused! Then, I realized, this kid was expecting this kind of kudos.
I sure love that kid.
4 comments:
Beautiful and lovely Brooklyn! I think of her face and it makes me smile. Tell her that's okay, I was 42 and asked my friend why she always ended her emails with ciao (I said it like "see-aye-oh". She laughed at me and said that it was pronounced "chaow" and that it means good-bye in Italian. Silly me!
Ohhhhhhh... I don't think I knew what Kudos meant until those granola bars came out when I was a kid! I don't blame her for being disappointed.
Oh, that's so sweet!! Kudos is a confusing word he should have just said Good job! She's so cute. How wonderful that she is never grumpy, how did you pull that one off? I need tips.
We sure love our sweet Brookie! I think I would have rather had the Kudos you can eat too.
Post a Comment