Saturday, June 21, 2008

Instant Potatoes?

In an attempt to be a good little homemaker, I have been trying to figure out how to rotate our year supply into our daily meals.

Um, yeah, that sounds realistic. I'm sorry, but some of that stuff is gross.

Case in point, I opened a #10 can that said "Instant Potatoes" on the label. I followed the cooking directions and this is what I got:


I've never seen mashed potatoes look like this. Pretty sure they should never resemble pie crust as you cut in the shortening. Small little pellets.

Dark yellow pellets.

My kiddos tried to eat a little piece. They are brave.

The smell was so bad the odor seemed to attach itself to my house.


Anyone want the rest of the can?

7 comments:

Jen said...

that looks disgusting!! it looks like corn flakes but knowing it is supposed to be potatoes is weird! what brave kids you have!

AZ Karen said...

I wish someone had told you that those go bad. I'm so sorry...that's nasty!

Your kids are brave.

Ami Bethea said...

NASTY. At least you tried. That's farther than I have gotten with my food storage.

Carroll Family said...

The potato pearls are better, but I still prefer real potatoes. I always add more water than it calls for, too. Just use them to thicken stuff, or for glue, or something!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Instant VOMIT in my mouth. Those look gross.

Shannon said...

Nastola! Hmmm note to self...do not get instant potatoes for year supply!

kanagaroo said...

Okay so here is the thing with Potato Pearls (which I am assuming is that mess in the bowl). They do go bad. However, don't think you're going to save the earth and room in the landfill for my stuff by flushing them down the disposal. We did that with some expired PP our friends gave us and it literally blew the elbow off our drain. So think of that gunk (except watery-er and stink'in to high heaven) coming out from under your sink. YUM!