Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Boy Training To Be A Man

When I was a kid I would sit in church and watch the families that would file in and sit on the long benches. You know, the ones in the middle, I was sure those rows had extra padding or snacks hidden where the hymn books were suppose to go. Those kids always looked like they were having a great time. I knew when I grew up I'd have so many children I'd get to sit on one of those big benches.

A middle row was not in my cards and sometimes, just sometimes I catch myself watching those families that get to file in and fill up a whole row. However, more times than not a sweet moment will happen (almost always on a Sunday) and then I remember how blessed I am to have the kids I do have, even if we have to sit on that little side row at church. No extra seat padding, no snacks.


This picture is of one of those sweet moments, BJ right after his first HT assignment. I guess it's an exhausting job for those who are new to the task. I love to watch this long little boy of mine as he does things that will one day make him a good man.
And who knows, maybe in a decade or two when he's all grown he'll get to sit on one of those long benches at church . . .

8 comments:

Jen said...

I loved this post. I don't know why but it almost made me want to cry. I don't like to think of my kids growing up and leaving someday. Very sweet!

Carroll Family said...

No extra padding, no hidden snacks...and if you keep watching it's probably VERY entertaining! You can join us anytime - we have room! He can't grow up that fast because that means mine are right after him :(

AZ Karen said...

*sniff* That was such a sweet post. I have very melancholy feelings about my kids growing up. You nailed my sentiments, exactly...although we don't have things like HT here.

AZ Karen said...

And the middle bench is overrated...I like the side with my two kids...if we plan it just right, and sit behind the right family, we can't get the stink-eye from dad on the stand if we're not being reverent.

Stephanie said...

That was such a cute post Heather. He really is growing up to be such a great man. He looks a bit like some other boys I know in that picture.

amy said...

Wouldn't trade those moments for anything!!!!

Ami Bethea said...

Ah that was very sweet. I love this post. It gives me a flashforward for my own boys. Although I don't think they'll be quite as long as yours...

Blake is such a good young man. Dang, I can't even call him a boy anymore, he's getting too mature for that term. I'm so glad you did a good job with Blake - he is such a good example to my boys.

Carroll Family said...

YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED - see my blog! AND - we need to come visit you - any day next week good?