I met him 16 years ago.
He was covered in a rash.
His eyes were swollen shut.
He had no eyebrows and his lips were always puckered.
I loved him.
Look at that melon head how can you not love it?
I've always had great plans for that kid.
A sort of lifetime to-do list.
I've always hoped that my list would become his list too.
Even when he was 8 and just starting scouts, he knew that in order to get his drivers license
someday he'd have to finish the whole scouting program.
someday he'd have to finish the whole scouting program.
It was part of the list.
To be honest, he didn't like scouts at first and I was a bit worried if he'd ever finish.
Or drive.
Or drive.
He's great at putting things off to the very last minute.
But my little procrastinator usually rises to the occasion.
Today he turned 16.
He spent a good part of his morning getting the last few signatures he needed to
complete his eagle project's paperwork.
Does the school count it as an absence if you're gone for a worthy cause?
As soon as he was done he let me know we were heading straight to the DMV.
The DMV was packed.
Blake had a smile on his face as we walked through the door.
Which took a long time because the line just to get in was huge.
Blake smiled even when he sat next to, behind, and in front of the weirdos you meet there.
He learned new things, like how to self tattoo at home with a kit you can buy.
The guy said his friend was getting really good at it.
Blake smiled while waiting in every line, sitting and waiting at each desk, and I'm wondering if he kept that smile during his driving test because he was smiling from ear to ear when he got out of the car.
Congrats Blakers, I knew you could do it.
Now on to the next thing on my your list.


4 comments:
There is NO WAY he is sixteen!!!!!!!!! Absolutely not! (o.k., but that means mine is that much closer.......) BTW - he is REALLY tall!!!
Yay for Blake! He really is quite adorable. And, your post was rather sweet too. Man, there is nothing sweeter than getting that license to drive. I remember it like it was yesterday. Good luck to him, AND you!
I love that boy! and his smile. It is hard to believe that tall thin young man was once our chubby cheeked boy.
You forgot to include how many wipies and how much washing you had to do after you left the DMV.
Heather, I am laughing so hard right now at you trying to figure out what is onthe back of the toilet. I should have divulged ALL information. All it is is a magazine holder, laying on it's side. I just get sick of magazines everywhere. Awww, thanks for making me chuckle tonight.
Post a Comment